Wednesday, June 23, 2010

still waiting for God. . .

but I wanted to share from my Bible study these past couple of days. Monday I read Matthew 14:22-33, the story of the disciples in the boat, exhausted from the storm and the crashing waves. When Jesus appeared, walking on water, the disciples thought it was a ghost! But Jesus called to Peter, "Come." Peter scrambled out of that boat and started walking on water, to his beloved Savior. "But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, 'Lord, save me!' Immediately, Jesus reached out and His hand caught him." v.30-31

Commentary from Beth Moore: "We have one, and only one, reason not to fear-the presence of Christ in our circumstances; but He is more than enough reason. He was reason enough for Peter to step out on the water. As long as his focus was straight "toward Jesus," Peter remained on top of the waves, but then he began to sink. What happened? Why couldn't Peter stay afloat through the power of Christ Jesus? Because Peter switched his focus to his circumstances while Christ remained tightly focused on his destination. Then came Peter's fear. . . the same kind of fear that binds weights to our ankles and submerges us in waves of surrounding circumstances."

I really needed this lesson Monday morning! It spoke to me in so many ways. I love that Jesus says, "Come", calling us to step away from our storms, our burdens, our circumstances to be with Him. I desperately needed the reminder to keep my focus steadfastly on Jesus, to keep walking forward. I start to falter when a fresh wave of fear sweeps over me. But He is helping me to be disciplined, to stop right then and there and pray. When I can't stop the fear and can only cry out, He is there immediately. No hesitation. Just comes bringing sweet peace. I hold close to my heart Beth's observation that while we are focused on our circumstances, drowning in fear, Jesus is focused on our destination. He knows where all of this is bringing us and for what purpose. We must remember, God has a plan. He is in control. He loves us and works in all things for His beloved children.

Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides You, who acts on behalf of those who wait for Him. Isaiah 64:4

I'll let you know when we hear from the dr. about the scans. . .

Love,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment